The mandrake is one of the most famous plants used in Wiccan practices because of its numerous magical abilities. Mandrake belongs to the Solanee family and is known to have roots that look like human genitals. It has long thick root with dark green leaves, white flowers with a purple hue and its fruit are very similar to an apple. Also, this plant is easily identified through its strong and unpleasant smell.
It grows in shady forests, on the banks of rivers and streams where sunlight does not penetrate. This plant can be found in southern European countries such as Italy and Spain, but it is also found in North African countries such as Morocco and Tunisia.
How to get the Mandrake Root:
The mandrake is a very powerful plant and harvesting the root was a difficult task in the past. This was because those who uprooted the plant died thereafter. So the farmers devised another method of getting the mandrake plant from the ground.
They dug deep around the root then a rope was tied to the root and the other end of the rope was tied to the neck of a dog. The dog was made to run thereby pulling the root from the ground. Then the Mandrake plant was picked up by the owner while the dog was left dead.
General Uses of Mandrake in Magickal Practices:
• The mandrake oil is used to purify and anoint candles in rituals.
• It is used as an enhancer of courage, love and personal power.
• Mandrake plant is used for protection against evil forces.
• Due to its smell, it can be used in production of ritual perfumes.
• If you slip a mandrake root shaped like a baby underneath a woman’s pillow, it makes her to conceive.
• If you carry a mandrake root shaped like a woman in your pocket, it could help to attract your desired lover to you.
• Mandrake root can be used to resolve woes, and catch fraudsters.
• In ancient medicine the leaves of the mandrake boiled in milk were applied to cure ulcers.
• Also its fresh roots can be used as an analgesic.
How to Prepare a Mandrake for use in Magick:
After you have successfully gotten the Mandrake root, you can preserve it for use in all your magickal works.
Kindly follow these steps:
• Get a jar, alcohol and the mandrake root.
• Cut the root into different parts.
• Put into the jar and fill with alcohol.
• Store this content for two or three months.
• Ensure to stir the jar’s content every night while asking for blessings from the mandrake root.
• Then the extract is ready for all your spells with mandrake.
An alternative method is to grind and dry the mandrake root after which you can use it as a powder for your spells and rituals.
I hope that this was informative and helpful. If so, tell me in the comments below.